While we can’t be certain, we’re willing to bet money that all phone users would start to panic if their phone fell into water. If it’s happened to you, you’ll know what we’re talking about!
The photos of your trip overseas? The video of your baby’s first word or steps? All gone.
Fortunately, if you’ve backed everything up, you’ll be able to retrieve it. More importantly, is that phones can be repaired even after suffering severe damage because they don’t immediately die when they come into contact with water.
Providing you act quickly and take the required steps, that is!
What happens to a phone when it falls into water?
Getting water inside a phone’s ports, jacks, and speakers is like putting poison in it. As soon as it enters, it flows into the circuits. The result? Water, which acts as a conductor, flows through the circuit board, overloading it with energy and frying it.
Unfortunately, leaving the phone to dry on its own can make things worse. As a result of minerals in the water, water sitting in the phone will cause corrosion to its circuits, coils, and resistors. Sometimes, the water might also take a little longer to reach vulnerable components, so the damage isn’t always instantly noticeable.
It is also important to consider the source of water. The worst thing you can do to your phone is drop it in the ocean. Saltwater is highly corrosive and will damage a phone’s components much more quickly than freshwater.
Saving a Water Damaged Phone Quickly
If your phone falls into the water, you need to act fast.
Here’s what to do:
- As soon as possible remove it from the water and turn it off.
- Use a microfiber cloth and disinfectant to clean it.
- Dry the phone as thoroughly as you can.
- Remove the battery (if possible) and SIM card
- If you are unable to remove the battery, place the phone upright.
Don’t, under any circumstances, do the following.
- Dry your phone in the microwave – this can start a fire.
- Put your phone near a heater or use a hair dryer to dry your water-damaged phone. Already-blown-out circuits could be damaged further by the heat.
- Put it in a bag of rice – it doesn’t work and can potentially cause more damage if a rice kernel gets stuck in a port.
As mentioned earlier, leaving your phone to dry off isn’t a good idea. It is important to remember that water does its damage beneath the surface, where your hands cannot reach, and time is therefore of the essence. If you’re mechanically inclined and able to repair your own devices, go for it; if not, it’s time to call the experts.